Friday, February 28, 2014

God Removes Obstacles


God Removes Obstacles

Lenny Faria responded quickly after Hurricane Katrina to join the large teams serving in the New Orleans area with ReachGlobal Crisis Response.  As a building contractor, he was eager to use his skills to accomplish as much as possible, but he was oblivious at that point to the relational part of the ministry.  Soon after his initial trip, God used a missions trip to Mexico to change his focus.  His team had gone down to build a boy’s dorm for an orphanage, but due to elections being held while there, all businesses were temporarily closed.  This meant that they had no place to purchase materials.  Unable to build, the focus of the trip changed to loving the 125 children in the orphanage.

Lenny explained, “The lesson I learned was that I was going to do God’s work and not mine.”  He started understanding ReachGlobal’s position- it’s about the people not the work.  Lenny continued to go on more trips with Crisis Response to New Orleans, Haiti, and Alabama.  With each trip, he felt more convinced that God was calling him to do this long-term.  Returning home, he would think of all the reasons why this was not practical.  He had his own business.  How would he make any money if he left?

“Finally, after 8 years of doing these missions trips with ReachGlobal, it was really weighing on me that this was what God wanted me to do,” recalled Lenny.  He discussed this with Mark Lewis, Kevin Watterson, friends, and his wife.  After Sandy hit, Lenny met Mark in Staten Island to access damage and meet with people from Salem Church.  Lenny went home and told his wife, "Boy, I really think I’m being called there to help more on a long-term basis and not for a week or two.”  They discussed all the roadblocks to going.  She said, “You know, if it is God who is calling you to do it and it’s not just you wanting to do this, then you need to go.”

Through praying and talking together, Lenny realized a few things would have to happen before this change could be possible.  First, Lenny had a large customer base from over 30 years in business who he would not just desert.  He wanted to know there would be someone to service them.  Secondly, he had two trailers and a bunch of tools that needed to be sold so business debts could be paid.  Lastly, financial support needed to be provided for his family while serving.

The very next day, a friend who is also a contractor stopped by.  Lenny shared the decision weighing on his heart.  His friend asked if he was selling the one trailer, which he was.  He told Lenny, “Well, I want it.”  The next day, he came by with a check.  A couple of hours later, Lenny’s son, who is also a contractor, stopped by.  His son asked, “I know you have been struggling with some medical problems.  Is there any way I can help you?”  He agreed to take over Lenny’s customer base while Lenny was away.  That was two answers to prayer in two days!!

That left the larger trailer and tools.  The Times Square Church in N.Y. had contacted Salem Church to see how they could help.  Salem Church needed tools and a place to store them.  Times Square Church bought Lenny’s trailer and tools and donated them to ReachGlobal Crisis Response.  “So, everything I had prayed about had happened within 4 days. … It was definitely God talking to me and saying, ‘This is where I want you.’” 

Since coming, Lenny shared, “It’s been exciting to see God’s work, to see how God works in a disaster situation in both homeowners and teams coming here.  He’s provided everything I’ve needed so far. … I feel I have changed.  I’ve become a different person. … I think I have become much more dependent on God.  I pray about everything now where I didn’t always do that.  I always felt I was in control, and I didn’t need God in my life all the time.  We turn to God when we need Him instead of turning to God all the time.  I’ve become a lot closer in my walk with God.  I go to prayer all the time.  I’m into the Word more than I was before. … I’ve become more patient. … I realize there is still more work to be done in my life.”  Lenny had a major focus on work in his life.  He has since learned to spend time with his family when home, depend more on God and others, and he is not as stressed as he was before making this life change.  God is using Lenny to make an impact on the regions impacted by Hurricane Sandy.  Is He calling you to serve too?






No comments:

Post a Comment